August 9, 2008

Protein keeping me constipated. - Best Answer by Pinky Leong on Yahoo! Answers

YAHOO BEST ANSWER

Question posted by foxresum...

Protein keeping me constipated.

I am a 35 year old male who's been trying to add muscle. My diet for the last week has been 3 cans of tuna (33g protein each), 2 chicken breast (21g protein each) and 4 protein shakes (35g protein each) DAILY.

Unfortunately, I have been constipated all week, but I have friends on similar diets and they say the protein drinks keep them regular. Since this is my first time dieting in this way, does my body need to get accustomed to this diet before I become regular, or should I not diet this way altogether?

6 days ago

Best Answer - Chosen by Voters


by Pinky Leong

Those on The Atkins Diet experience constipation just like you. A high protein diet creates yucky smelly sticky faeces.What you need to do to avoid constipation is very simple. You forgot about fiber!!

Add fiber to your diet and you will eliminate the constipation problem. What types of foods give you fiber? Raw salads are the best. If you find chewing a hassle, just shove a handful of assorted salad into the blender with some water and drink your salad! Do this 2 or 3 times a day.

I hear that the famous Malaysian actress Michele Yeoh uses this method, and look at how svelte she is. An inert fiber is psyllium husk. Oatmeal is also good. If you take a spoonful of ground flaxseed twice a day, you will get excellent fiber plus Omega 3 to balance out all the extra Omega 6 that you are taking from the high protein meals.

To build muscle, it has to be high protein and low carb, ok? But fruits and vege must feature prominently to ensure good bowel movement and to provide all your micronutrients. Take 2-3 liters of water * IMPORTANT!

6 days ago

No comments: